Melbourne Dental School Award for Outstanding Contribution
The Melbourne Dental School Award for Outstanding Contribution has been established to recognise exceptional contributions made by professional staff members toward fulfilling the goals, values and mission of the University.
The Award is to be awarded annually by the Head Of School.
Full-time and part-time professional staff employed on continuing or fixed-term contracts are eligible for nomination.
Nominees must not have been previous recipients of this award within the past two years.
Staff members who serve on the selection committee are not eligible for an individual award during the year they serve.
Form of award
One award is made each year.
The award is in the form of:
- A Certificate of Recognition, to be presented at a School Meeting; and
- A grant to be spent at the discretion of the individual for professional development purposes (eg seminars and training courses, journal subscriptions, offset costs of participation at conferences) and/or an approved work related gift.
The amount of the grant is up to $1,000 for individual staff members.
A selection committee advises the Head of School on the awards. The committee is chaired by the Deputy Head of School and has representatives of the senior academic and professional staff members of the school.
The selection committee will consider nominations against the award criteria and provide a recommendation to the Head of School. The committee will be responsible for considering the nominations and selecting the most suitable nominee(s) using the following criteria:
- Outstanding service and client focus
- Excellence in process improvement and/or innovation
- Exceptional team work or team contribution
- Demonstration of staff values
- Exceptional leadership and/or vision
- Creating connections: Contribution to engagement
- Demonstration of staff values
The Head of School's decision is final.
The Melbourne Dental School encourages all staff of the school to recognise outstanding contributions by a professional staff member by nominating them for this award.
The Head of School will advertise annually for nominations.
Nominations may be made by any School staff member or student, for example:
- A supervisor or manager of area;
- Recipients/customers of service or outcome, including students.
Persons making nominations are encouraged to have them supported by another University staff member or group.
Nominations should be endorsed by the Supervisor of the Nominee or equivalent. Individuals cannot nominate themselves.
Nomination Form(MS Word 17kb)
Nominations should be addressed to the School Manager Melbourne Dental School - Award for Outstanding Contribution, Mr Alan Eddy, and sent by mail to:
Mr Alan Eddy School Manager, Melbourne Dental School
The closing date for applications is: 5pm Friday 29th June.
Nominations must be written and submitted by the nominator, using the nomination form. Nominations must be submitted in hard copy to: Mr Alan Eddy School Manager, Melbourne Dental School
Nomination documentation must also include:
- A citation of no more than two pages addressing all relevant selection criteria including the achievements of the individual in relation to one or more of the award categories.
- Supporting documentation of no more than three pages. This may
include testimonials from clients, evidence of work or
- Nominations must be signed by the nominator and endorsed by the Nominees Supervisor or equivalent.
When more than one nomination is received from a particular area within the School, the nomination, signed and dated by the nominator, gives the School Manager permission to forward the nomination to the Head of the area who will be asked to rank the nominations.
Recipients of awards will be advised and invited to a celebration event where they will be presented with their awards and recognised for their achievements.
The grant money must be used within 12 months of receipt of the award.
Grant money will remain in the school account and will be paid at, or shortly after, the time of expenditure. Any unexpended funds will remain in the school. Any additional money expended, above the amount awarded, is the responsibility of the recipient(s).
If the recipient leaves the University before the grant is fully expended, the unexpended portion will be forfeited. If the grant is not expended or committed within one year of receipt, the unexpended portion will be forfeited.
Approved: Melbourne Dental School, Executive and Planning Meeting
Date:3 May 2012