DHSV - Safety Issue
Please see attached image - unfortunately one of our CSSD employees was involved in a sharps injury due to a piercing instrument poking through a cassette – this is a timely reminder around the importance of packing kits carefully and not putting yourself or anyone at risk.
Ironically, this time last week the exact same thing happened to a Dental Assistant on level 1.
Please discuss and share with staff and students.
Infection Control Coordinator
Dental Health Services Victoria
Click here for a map showing how to get to MOHTEC at 723 Swanston Street
Attendance requirements are 75% for lectures and tutorials and 100% for practical classes, seminars, clinical placements and field visits.
Exemption from a pre-clinical/clinical session or permission to swap a pre-clinical/clinical session will only be granted in exceptional circumstances, provided a request for exemption/to swap is lodged in writing with the Director of Clinical Education at least 28 days before that session.
Students who are absent from any practical classes, must provide an explanation and supporting documentation for their absence to the School Office as soon as possible (03 9341 1500).
Students who are unable to attend clinical classes (including placements in community health centres) must report their intended absence to the:
- School Office and provide a Medical Certificate to the School Office by the end of the week in which they are absent and
- appropriate appointments clerk in the area concerned at the earliest practicable time so alternative arrangements can be made for patient care.
Police Record Checks
Clinical placements are part of the graduate clinical courses and are undertaken at the Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne, other metropolitan hospitals and metropolitan and rural community clinics. Most hospitals and clinical agencies require Police Record Checks for all students, staff and volunteers who will come into contact with children, elderly and vulnerable people.
All students commencing a clinical course, both local and international, are required to obtain a police check at their own expense prior to enrolment. International students and students who studied outside Australia (including New Zealand) in the year prior to enrolment must obtain a police record check from the country in which they spent that year.
You need to complete the Consent to Check and Release National Police Record form. For assistance, refer to Application Form Instructions and please note the following requirements:
1. Complete Sections A to D as directed on the form.
2. In Section E: Purpose of Check, put a cross (X) in Option 2 Other and type ‘student placement’ in the space provided; fill in Melbourne Dental School for ‘Name of Organisation’. Leave all other fields blank in this section.
3. Complete Sections F and G as directed on the form.
4. Print the form, sign it and have it witnessed.
5. Bring the form to the Melbourne Dental School to be signed by the School’s representative:
Melbourne Dental School
Level 4, 720 Swanston Street
Melbourne Vic 3010
6. After collecting the signed form, you will need to send it to the Victoria Police with the required payment.
Working With Children Check
All students who will come in contact with children during their course are required to obtain a Working with Children Check prior to enrolment. Working with Children checks are valid for 5 Years. Students whose course extends beyond 5 years will be required to obtain a new check.
Please read the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Science Working with Children Check Policy. Applying for a Working with Children Check, see the sample application and information sheet (PDF 1 MB).
Dental Registration with Dental Board of Australia
School Resources and Policies:
- Student Forms
- Environmental Health & Safety
- Immunization and Infectious Disease Policy
- Declaration of Compliance with Faculty Infectious Diseases Policy
Useful university links:
- School of Graduate Studies
- University of Melbourne Postgraduate Association
Adobe Acrobat is required to view these files. A free copy can be downloaded from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html