STUDENT TRAVEL AWARD 2013
The Melbourne Dental School’s Research Committee will award bi-annual travel grants from the 2013 Research Committee Budget and the Dental Alumni Trust Fund to eligible students for conference attendance and presentation.
- Eligible students are postgraduate students and DDS students.
- Up to $2,000 may be awarded for attendance at an international conference and up to $1,000 may be awarded for attendance at a local conference. Local conferences are conferences that take place within Australia and New Zealand.
- Postgraduate students are entitled to funding to attend two conferences – which can be one international and one local conference, OR, if necessary, two local conferences.
- One DDS student per DDS student group will be eligible to attend one local or international conference on behalf of the group.
- Should a student convert from one course to another (eg. from a Masters by Research to a PhD), the above rules still apply i.e. a student will only be entitled to one international and one local conference during their entire candidature as a postgraduate student.
- The award is to be used for travel expenses, accommodation and registration for conferences. Sundry expenses including food are not able to be funded.
- Applicants must either be presenting a poster or giving an oral presentation at the conference. Applicants must consult with their supervisor prior to submitting an abstract to the conference organizers. Applicants must provide a copy of the conference program and their proposed/accepted abstract with their application. Abstracts must state your affiliation with the Melbourne Dental School and/or the Oral Health CRC.
- The travel grants are awarded on a competitive basis and will be judged on the summary of the proposed presentation. PhD and Masters by Research applicants will be given highest priority.
- No retrospective funding will be awarded.
- Staff who are also Research Higher Degree students are not eligible to receive this funding.
It is expected that PhD students will attend at least one international conference during their candidature.
Closing dates for 2013
- Round 1 – Wednesday, 1st May 2013
- Round 2 – Friday, 13th September 2013
NB: If you plan to attend a conference between August and December of the current year, it is suggested that you apply in Round 1. Round 2 would be for those wishing to attend conferences between January and July of the following year. In general, you should apply for funding at least several months prior to the conference, where possible.
The Travel Award Application form can be downloaded at http://www.dent.unimelb.edu.au/dsweb/current_students/student_forms.html - under Research Forms, Application for Travel Award. This form must be filled in electronically, printed and then checked and signed by the applicant’s supervisor. Electronic submissions will not be accepted.
Applications are to be submitted to the Research Administrator in room 4.408, 4th floor, before close of business on the above dates.
Successful applicants will be notified via their University email account (no other email account will be accepted) of the outcome of their application.
Applicants must ensure they are aware of the information on travelling off-campus found at http://www.pb.unimelb.edu.au/ehs/workplace_ehs/travel which includes Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) warnings.
Students are required to apply for free University insurance cover via Online Travel Registration. Refer to the University Insurance Office website for more information. A copy of the Confirmation of Cover letter is to be submitted to the Research Administrator prior to departure.
- Cover is provided for all student categories, whether full time or part time, postgraduate or undergraduate;
- Cover is provided for all approved student travel - regardless of how the travel is actually funded e.g. financed by UoM, the student, another party or organisation;
- Only University approved travel in connection with the student's studies (e.g. conferences, field work, outside placements, research, etc.) can be covered;
- Cover is also provided for the Student's incidental "private travel" on the condition that it:
- does not exceed the University segment of the trip and
- it is not greater than one month (31 days)
- Students CANNOT be covered for Travel Insurance where their travel has already commenced - OR - where their travel is primarily or solely private in nature.
Should you require further travel insurance, please visit the Ace Insurance website at http://inasuitcase.aceinsurance.com.au/Melbuni/homepage.aspx
Airfares can be booked through the travel supplier of your choice however you must endeavour to purchase the most economical airfare.
Reimbursement of Costs
To claim a reimbursement on your return the following must be provided to Mr Colin Turner (4th floor, School Office):
- Proof of accepted abstract (this can be in the form of an email from the conference organising committee or a copy of the conference proceedings). Abstracts must state your affiliation with the Melbourne Dental School and/or the Oral Health CRC.
- Receipts/tax invoices (including air tickets) for all expenditure. All receipts must be provided at the same time.